OUR FIRST GUEST SPEAKER WAS LIZ BINGHAM OBE
Liz is a well-known British businesswoman, President of R3 and is on BBC Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour’s Top 100 Most Influential Women’s list (read more about that here). She is a campaigner for diversity and inclusiveness in the workplace.
Liz explained how diversity is not just about ticking boxes and having staff that look different to each other. Business is improved by diversity which brings new ideas to the forefront and gives companies access to a wider range of talent, unrestricted by ethnicity, gender or particular world views.
She wanted us to think outside the boxes we are accustomed to and hear the smallest voice as well as the loudest in the room.
NEXT WE WERE JOINED BY ADAM SHAW – THE HEART GUY
Adam is an ex-coronary ward nurse who shared warning stories of patients who demonstrated that high levels of stress led to strokes, heart attacks and disease. Read more about him by clicking here.
He ended his presentation with 5 tips to assist with stress management which we would like to share with you:
- Drink more water – 2-3 litres is the amount you should have per day for optimised performance at work and at play.
- Practice breathing deeply and mindfulness every day.
- Reduce stress by communicating openly and don’t expect someone to know what you are thinking.
- Spend time in nature – he advises at least going for a walk at lunchtime or on a break.
- Improve your inner self-talk. Adam said that most people talk to themselves negatively which can increase stress levels. Instead, talk to yourself as if you were a friend.
WE WERE FINALLY JOINED BY BARRIE JOHNSTON AND VICTORIA ARMSTRONG.
Victoria took our staff on two very relaxing 10 minute meditations which we were advised to incorporate into our daily routine. Barrie then examined easy habits to stick to, to help aid weight loss, fitness and stress management:
- Again, drink more water.
- Sleep more - at least 7 hours. If you can, wake up with natural light instead of an alarm clock.
- Have a team around to support you with your goals.
- Use a calorie tracking app to make sure you stay within your daily calorie limit.
- Practice mindfulness and meditation, ideally every night before bed to help you sleep.
In the evening our staff had a firm quiz, followed by drinks and a lovely meal and the opportunity to catch up on what we had learnt. To find out more about Barrie's 8 week guided journey of change, click here.
Since our away day, we have noticed more water being drunk in the office, less cakes being brought in and an all-round happier culture at Moon Beever. We wanted to share the information we learnt with you too so you can pass it on!